There are a number of basic principles that can be applied to achieve effective meetings. These are listed below.
1. The meeting starts on time and is not too long.
2. The organisers have clear objectives they wish to achieve.
3. There is a clear and agreed agenda for the meeting.
4. Participants are committed to achieving positive outcomes.
5. Sufficient preparation has been carried out.
6. There is a clear and fair record of discussion and agreements.
7. Agreed action items are carried out between meetings.
A guide and templates on running effective meetings can be found here.